The St. Cloud Norsemen and Granite City Lumberjacks had big wins on Friday, and the St. Cloud State University men’s and women’s basketball teams both dominated UMary, but men’s rugby of the University of St. John’s and the Minnesota Timberwolves lost their matches. On Saturday, the Minnesota Wild will travel to Los Angeles while the Gopher men’s basketball team will travel to Michigan, and the Gopher volleyball team will face Wisconsin in the Elite Eight round.
– The Norsemen claimed their third straight victory with a 5-1 win over MN Wilderness at Cloquet on Friday. Blake Perbix led the way for St. Cloud, scoring two goals. The Norsemen improve to 12-9 and the Wilderness fall to 13-13-1. The teams travel to St. Cloud on Saturday for the second game of the weekend series. The puck game is fixed at 7 p.m.
– The Lumberjacks beat the Minnesota Loons 12-1 on the road Friday night. Tucker Skime, Brett Reed and Brock Masseth each scored two goals for Granite City. The Lumberjacks improve to 22-1 and the Loons fall to 2-23. The teams will end the series with the second match on Saturday at 7:30 p.m.
– The SCSU men’s basketball team returned to the winning column defeating the University of Mary 83-78. Caleb Donaldson led all scorers with 31 points for St. Cloud. Huskies improve to 5-5 and host Minot State University on Saturday at 3:30 p.m.
– The SCSU women’s basketball team also held onto their lead long enough to claim a 79-70 victory over the Marauders. Tori Wortz led St. Cloud with a high of 25 points. Brehna Evans added 16. The Huskies improve to 6-1 and will host Minot in the second game of the SCSU doubles program at 5:30 pm.
– The SJU’s No.2 rugby team fell 28-21 to No.2. 3 New Mexico Tech in the Semi-Final of the Small College Cohen Cup Division Collegiate Men’s Rugby Championship. The game marked the fifth final four appearance for St. John’s. The Johnnies will now face None. 6 Sainte-Croix in the match for third place on Sunday at 12:00 p.m.
– After a difficult first half, a late push was not enough as the Timberwolves lost 123-106 to the Cleveland Cavaliers. Karl-Anthony Towns led the way for Minnesota with 21 points and seven rebounds. Malik Beasley added 15 points and five rebounds. Wolves fall to 11-15 and face Portland on Sunday night at 8:00 p.m.
–The Wild 19-6-1 will look to get things done when they visit the Kings 11-10-4 in Los Angeles on Saturday night. The teams last met in October when Minnesota won 3-2. Pre-game coverage begins at 9:15 p.m. on AM 1390 and 93.9 FM Granite City Sports.
– The Gopher men’s 7-1 basketball team will look to bounce back from a loss to Michigan State when they visit the University of Michigan (6-3) on Saturday. The Wolverines lead the overall 92-62 series. Pre-game coverage begins at 5:00 p.m. on AM 1390 and 93.9 FM Granite City Sports.
– The no. Volleyball team 12 Gopher heads to their tenth regional final in their history as they take on the no. 4 Badgers in the elite eighth round of the NCAA tournament. The Gophers are 52-35 against Wisconsin and 11-8 against the Badgers under current head coach Hugh McCutcheon. Game time is 7:00 p.m. at UW Fieldhouse. The winner will qualify for the last four.
Check out the best-selling album of the year you graduated from high school
In chronological order from 1956 to 2020, we present the best-selling album for the year you graduated from high school.
WATCH: The history of food since you were born